So about seven years ago I started my first blog. It was a mom blog where I talked about my kiddos, the crazy life of being a mommy and the books that I loved and pushed on others that kept me sane. It was a short-lived one, but one I put my heart into while it was active.
My kids are not little monsters anymore, they are moody teens in high school, but the older they got, life was just as hectic, if not more. Before my oldest, now 16, was able to drive, we were running one kid to dance practice 5 to 6 days a week while getting the other to basketball or baseball practice and games also five days a week.
I decided to take a walk down memory lane and read through some of my old blog posts. I realized several things.
1. My book lists I push on my peeps haven’t changed a whole lot. They will always include romance, but back then, there was also some great nonfiction thrown in. Here is a list from December of 2011. Check them out and enjoy ❤
- Stories I Only Tell My Friends by Rob Lowe
- One for the Money, Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich
- Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster
- Bright Lights, Big Ass by Jen Lancaster
- Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster
- Deja Dead Series by Kathy Reichs
- Causing Havoc by Lori Foster
- Simon Says by Lori Foster
- Hard to Handle by Lori Foster
- My Man, Michael by Lori Foster
- Tell Me Where It Hurts by Dr. Nick Trout
- The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch
2. My kids (most kids really) are freaking hilarious! The “virgin” talk with an 8-year-old was a WTF mom moment. Read this past post below.
3. My oldest is not a little anymore. He will be 17 in February (only four months), and I am NOT prepared for him to be an almost adult.
Post from mommy past:
Thursday, March 8, 2012
Never a Dull Moment
So I was driving my daughter home from dance class this past week, and she piped up from the back seat and said, “Mommy, what’s a virgin?” I almost wrecked the car. This is not something that should be coming out of an eight and a half-year-olds mouth. I, of course, was completely taken off guard. I looked at the radio and thought… Did this come from a song? What song is playing? A million other things flew through my mind in a nanosecond. Not wanting to lie to her I told her reluctantly that it’s someone who has not had sex before. Duh!! Why did I not say it is a non-alcoholic drink or even its someone who hasn’t done ‘something’ before. Anyway, she then proceeded to say “well then that’s inappropriate!” Huh? I get that this is not a normal conversation but, I was confused. I then said, “Honey, what do you mean?” and then I got this…..”That van said Iowa Virgin’s Home on the side of it!” Trying really hard not to laugh, I said to her, “Honey, are you sure it didn’t say Iowa Veterans Home?” Her response was, “Yeah, I bet it did….” Ahhh, never a dull moment with this one. I love you Reese’s Pieces!
So as I sit here and cry over my babies growing up, I am grateful for a short time I captured these cute yet embarrassing musings in writing.